Another Distraction

A somewhat eclectic blog by a woman who's easily distracted...

Sunday, December 17, 2006

Save Some Cash--Use Your Stash!


I am embarrassed about the amount of yarn I seem to have accumulated over the years. So much, in fact, that I have seriously slowed my yarn purchases over the last several months. This is not to say I haven't bought yarn in the last few months--just significantly smaller amounts. (Pay no attention to that super soft, I-had-to-have-it Malabrigo sitting on the chair--it's only four skeins--it hardly even counts, right?).

This is partially a money thing and partially a guilt thing. I suspect the two are related. But I haven't been willing to give up yarn-buying for any specified amount of time, because I know as soon as I do, The Perfect Yarn will show up and do me in.

Knit From Your Stash 2007
Enter, Wendy's Knit From Your Stash 2007. It's like Weight Watchers(TM) for your stash!




I have adapted the rules to better fit my issues:


  1. The Knit-From-Your-Stash-a-Thon will start January 1, 2007 and run through September 30, 2007 -- a period of nine months.

  2. I will not buy any yarn during that period, with the following exceptions:
    2a. I may purchase yarn at Stitiches West in February.
    2b. I may purchase this kit, even if it's not available at Stitches West.
    2c. If someone asks for a specific knitted gift that I really and truly do not have the yarn for, I may buy yarn to knit that gift.
    2d. If I am knitting something and run out of yarn, I may purchase enough to complete the project.
    2e. I may purchase baby yarn (superwash wool--not acrylic) for specific baby gift projects, and the yarn for my mother's Christmas 2007 gift.
    2f. I may purchase yarn as a gift for someone else.
    2g. I get one "Get Out of Jail Free" card -- I am allowed to fall off the wagon one time.

  3. I am allowed to receive gifts of yarn.

  4. If I receive a gift certificate to a yarn store, I may use it to purchase yarn.

  5. Books and patterns are exempt.

  6. If I start spinning this year (which I'm not allowing myself to do until my home office is clean and orderly--and that will require some de-stashing), spinning stuff is exempt.

So I'll start by finishing what's already on the needles:

After that will be Mariah and the sweater for my mom, and then I'll need your help (if there's any 2007 left after all that). There is yarn in my stash that was either bought for a pattern that I've since decided I don't want to knit, or bought with no specific project in mind. I'll be posting some of the yarn specifics and asking for suggestions.

The other scary thing is that a lot of the stash is from very early on, when I just didn't know any better and bought... acrylic and acrylic blends. Some of them will be just fine for projects destined for me, but a little bit of it is so acrylic it hurts. Not quite sure what to do with that... Any ideas?

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 12:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,
I am trying to knit the aran weight lace cardigan from the Elann website. I cannot figure out why there are few extra stitches after the first lace repeat for the fronts and a few stitches before and after the lace repeats on the back. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Kellbarton@hotmail.com
Kelly

 

Post a Comment

<< Home